Lotions and PotionsHome / Church Life / Fellowship Events / Lotions and Potions
On a very snowy Saturday in March an intrepid group met at the Burnside Hall for Paul's latest Fellowship Event - "Lotions and Potions"
We had a fantastic time as the scent of lavender and rose wafted around us. We had a very "Blue Peter" evening as we explored the natural cosmetics and skin treatments available in biblical times, and even made some of our own. Including:
- Kohl - an ancient eye cosmetic. It is widely used as eyeliner to contour and/or darken the eyelids and as mascara for the eyelashes. It is worn mostly by women, but also by some men and children.
- Rosewater - has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness of irritated skin, get rid of acne, dermatitis and eczema.
- Almond Milk - has softening and moisturising effect on skin. Almonds are traditionally regarded as having special healing and protecting properties, soothing the skin while also hydrating it.
- Clay and Mud - used as face masks and compresses to refine, clarify and detox the skin.
- Balm - a fragrant cream or liquid used to heal or soothe the skin, usually extracted from a resinous tree.
I think everyone agreed the balm was the best make of the evening (you'll have to ask Paul for the recipe). Big Ted thought it smelled very nice but he wasn't having any of it near his splendid fur.