TwitterFacebook

Marsh Photo GalleryHome / Church Building / Marsh Photo Gallery

The images on this page were taken by J. Marsh

Exterior view
Exterior view
A timeless view of the church and churchyard taken from the south west in the summer…
Exterior view
Exterior view
…a similar view in the winter sunshine
Pulpit
Pulpit
A close-up view of one of the gilded panels on the pulpit. There are 12 such panels, each with a vine motif; they all have a slightly different design.
Reredos
Reredos
Detailed view of the reredos behind the main altar. Its panels depict aspects of the crucifixion – the rightmost panel (shown) portrays the Roman soldiers throwing dice to decide who has Christ’s garments.
Sanctuary lamp
Sanctuary lamp
One of the two wrought iron “baskets” hanging from the sanctuary ceiling. Originally these held large paraffin lamps before electricity was installed in the church in the 1930s
Chancel ceiling
Chancel ceiling
Detail of one of the large bosses in the chancel ceiling. The ceiling was restored in 1990, and donations were invited to help with its funding: £150 for a large gold boss, £100 for a panel, £25 for a quarter panel and £50 for a small gold boss
Candelabra
Candelabra
One of the seven wrought iron candelabra, which were made by Thomas Coldron, blacksmith of Brant Broughton, Lincs. Candles are lit in them at Christmas and for some other evening festivals
North aisle
North aisle
The north aisle, looking eastwards. The richly painted ceiling was part of the redecoration from 1871 to 1875, under the direction of the famous Victorian Church Architect, G F Bodley
North aisle ceiling
North aisle ceiling
A close-up view of the north aisle ceiling; the Victorian paintwork was restored to its original condition in 1984 as part of an extensive renovation of Bodley’s decoration between 1984 and 1990
Chancel screen
Chancel screen
The intricately painted chancel screen, another fine example of Bodley’s design
Chancel and nave
Chancel and nave
A view from in front of the main altar looking over the choir stalls towards the nave
Piscina
Piscina
A close-up view of the recess in the south wall of the sanctuary. This was probably originally a piscina (used for washing sacred communion vessels)
Harcourt memorial
Harcourt memorial
The coat of arms atop the monument in memory of Reverend Vere Harcourt, Rector of Plumtree Church from 1650 to 1683. On the right of the shield are three hawthorn trees, representing Thornton, the maiden name of Vere’s wife, Lucy
Nave
Nave
A view of the nave from the chancel showing the candelabrum framed by the chancel arch
Children's corner
Children's corner
A view from the south door looking towards the children’s corner, the most recent addition to the church, created in 2006

The above photos were taken with a Canon EOS 7D digital SLR camera

 

site map | cookie policy | privacy policy