Media OpportunitiesHome / Church Life / Get Involved / Media Opportunities
So far we've described those activities that are inward looking - they keep our church functioning for the current congregation. Now we'll consider outward looking activities - essential if our church is to thrive during the current millennium:
- Parish Magazine Contributions
- St Mary's has had a parish magazine since 1980. In the first edition the then Rector, Stephen Oliver wrote that 'Good communication is vital to any human enterprise', a sentiment that still applies today. The parish magazine still flourishes with a healthy circulation and many regular features. However the editor is always looking for fresh contributors and new articles.
- If you think you could provide regular (or even occasional) submissions on any topic that is relevant to the church or the community, please get in touch with the editor, Rosemary Jordan who will advise you on how to proceed.
- Website Maintenance
- It's over ten years since St Mary’s acquired a web presence; we were one of the first parishes in the diocese to have a website.
- Web design has moved forward in the intervening years; the new Plumtree church website reflects this and represents best practice from over 75 other church websites, both within the Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham and elsewhere.
- Keeping the new website fresh and will involve a variety of skills: updating the calendar of Services and Events, reporting on fellowship activities, monitoring other church websites to identify new trends; liaising with the parish magazine editor and Social Media team, and uploading photos of events.
- It’s early days for the new website and we’re not yet sure how it will mesh with the other church media outlets. Once this relationship is established we’ll publish details of the website maintenance policy here.
- If you are interested in helping with the website, please contact Fiona Carruthers.
- Social Media
- We currently have accounts on facebook and twitter. Both accounts are moderately active, but we’re looking to expand our use of this powerful, but easy-to-use, communication channel. Ideally we need a small team to be responsible for taking these accounts forward ideally to a defined Social Media Policy.
- If you are interested in posting regular items on behalf of St Mary's, please contact Jackie Clark or Fiona Carruthers.