Lotions and PotionsHome / Church Life / Fellowship Events / Lotions and Potions
On a very snowy Saturday in March an intrepid group met at the Burnside Hall for Paul's latest Fellowship Event - "Lotions and Potions"
We had a fantastic time as the scent of lavender and rose wafted around us. We had a very "Blue Peter" evening as we explored the natural cosmetics and skin treatments available in biblical times, and even made some of our own. Including:
- Kohl - an ancient eye cosmetic. It is widely used as eyeliner to contour and/or darken the eyelids and as mascara for the eyelashes. It is worn mostly by women, but also by some men and children.
- Rosewater - has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness of irritated skin, get rid of acne, dermatitis and eczema.
- Almond Milk - has softening and moisturising effect on skin. Almonds are traditionally regarded as having special healing and protecting properties, soothing the skin while also hydrating it.
- Clay and Mud - used as face masks and compresses to refine, clarify and detox the skin.
- Balm - a fragrant cream or liquid used to heal or soothe the skin, usually extracted from a resinous tree.
I think everyone agreed the balm was the best make of the evening (you'll have to ask Paul for the recipe).
Here is a selection of photos taken at the event, click on a picture to see a larger version.